Swansea Student Landlord FAQ

Providing students in Swansea high quality and affordable accommodation during the academic year.


Click on a question below to reveal the answer provided.

What are the usual areas for student rental in Swansea?

Students attending Swansea University usually prefer to rent property in Brynmill, Uplands, City Centre & Sandfields. Students going to the Swansea Metropolitan University tend to rent accommodation in Mount Pleasant, City Centre, Sandfields and Uplands.

What documentation does each property have?

All our properties are licenced with the council, have a current Gas Safety Certificate, Fire Equipment Inspection Certificate, Fire Alarm Inspection Certificate and an NICEIC certificate (for Electrical Safety lasting 5 years).

How do I arrange a viewing?

If you have any queries or would like to arrange a viewing please call us on 07971185652 or complete the form on our contacts page with your details and enquiry.

How do I secure a property?

After viewing, should you wish to rent a property or room, you would need to complete a tenancy agreement which is a legally binding contract, pay a holding fee which will be deducted from your deposit balance at the start of your tenancy and arrange for your guarantor to complete a guarantor form.

How much deposit do I pay?

Your deposit is £50 more than your monthly rent and is lodged with the DPS (https://www.depositprotection.com) who will hold it for the duration of your tenancy. The DPS are one of the government approved schemes which it is legally required that your deposit is lodged with.

Do I need a UK based guarantor?

Yes, although should this not be possible we may be able to take a larger deposit instead. This is an income earning UK resident who is willing to guarantee your rent or any debts as a result of you being unable to pay, this is usually a parent or guardian)

How do I get my deposit back?

At the end of your tenancy we will inspect the property, given that it is returned in the same condition and your rent is fully paid we will immediately authorise the DPS to refund it directly to you.

How do I pay my rent?

We accept 3 methods of payment:

  • Our preferred payment method is monthly in advance by standing order into our bank account.
  • A series of post dated cheques made out for 1st of each month.
  • Some students prefer to pay termly on receipt of their student loans.

Do I pay council tax?

No, if you are a student in full-time education you are exempt. You will however need to provide us with your student number and name of the university you are attending in order for us to apply for an exemption with the council. In some instance you may have to apply for a Council Tax Exemption certificate at your university. Failure to do so may result in you having to pay the full charge.

Are my belongings insured on the landlords policy?

No. Each tenant is responsible for arranging their own contents insurance. Endsleigh specialise in providing students with contents insurance, there is a link to their site at the bottom of this page if you would like any additional information.

Can I get a Parking Permit?

In some areas the council have restricted the parking permits to two per student house which are issued on a first come, first served basis, in a bid to ease the congested parking situation and to keep the other local residents happy. You can apply for a permit here or at the local council.

Swansea Student Landlord
Swansea Private Landlord

Civic Centre
Oystermouth Rd,
West Glamorgan

Office: 01792 636000
Mobile: 07971 185652